Frequently Asked Questions about FENIX NTM®
Below are some of the frequently asked questions regarding FENIX NTM®. If you have any further questions please send us a quick note. Click here.
- What is FENIX NTM?
- FENIX NTM is a new, smart nanotech material; it is neither an HPL nor a film or finish.
- What does NTM mean?
- Nano Tech Matte.
- What are the key properties of FENIX NTM?
- Six of the key properties are: 1. Low light reflectivity, extremely matte surface; 2. Anti-fingerprint; 3. Thermal healing of micro-scratches; 4. Soft to the touch; 5. Resistance to scratches and abrasions; 6. Enhanced anti-bacterial properties. A seventh optional feature is that the 1.2mm material can be used for self-edge applications to cover the edge seam. This is a major solution to a common issue that sometimes keeps HPL products from being perceived as a material on par with veneers or solid surfacing. You can see all of the key properties here.
- Why is FENIX NTM not included in the Arpa general collection?
- FENIX NTM is not included in the Arpa general collection because it is not an HPL product; it is a new, smart material for interior design.
- Is FENIX NTM suitable for horizontal applications?
- Yes, FENIX NTM is suitable for both vertical and horizontal applications.
- What is the manufacturing process?
- Seventy percent (70%) of the FENIX NTM manufacturing process consists of high pressure thermo-lamination; thirty percent (30%) implies the use of technologies and processes, developed exclusively by Arpa Industriale and its partners, which involve the use of next generation resins, nanotechnology and EB (Electron Beam) curing.
- What kind of nanotechnology is used for FENIX NTM?
- The nanotechnology applied in FENIX NTM results in superior scratch-resistance and the reparability of micro-scratches. FENIX NTM features the superior scratch resistance properties of particles that are so small (nano-sized, smaller than 100nm) that they are not visible to the naked eye. Applying smart, high-tech processes, these nanoparticles are evenly dispersed into a specifically-developed coating for FENIX NTM. After curing the coating, the nanoparticles are fully integrated and fixed inside the outer layer of FENIX NTM. FENIX NTM is suitable for contact with food (NSF certification).
- What is the FENIX NTM core made of?
- FENIX NTM is made of paper and thermosetting resins
- How many times can the surface be repaired by thermal healing?
- If the structure of the material is not damaged, the thermal healing repair can be made infinitely.
- Does the removal of micro-scratches have to be done immediately?
- Tests have shown that the removal of micro-scratches with a melamine foam sponge (3M Magic Eraser) can be done both immediately and after 24 hours.
- What is the specular reflectance of FENIX NTM?
- The surface of FENIX NTM is extremely matte: 0.2 gloss at 20°, 1.5 gloss at 60°, 10 gloss at 85°.
- What manufacturing tools are suggested?
- Cutting tools: saws with tungsten carbide insert blades, portable circular saws, bench circular saws. Milling tools: various portable cutters, fixed equipment (milling machines or wood machining centers). Smoothing tools: files, sandpaper. Drilling tools: pillar tools, hand tools or a machining center that can mill as well as drill (twist drills, hole cutters). Machining solid FENIX NTM is comparable to machining high quality hardwood. The use of hard metal tools is advised.
- What can be used for edging?
- Edges may be made using either FENIX NTM 1.2mm or ABS/Polymeric edges developed in partnership with Rehau and Dölken. For FENIX NTM 1.2mm edges, a polyurethane glue has to be used. ABS/Polymeric edges can be glued with hot melt adhesives or with new laser or air systems.
- What type of edge shapes are available for 10mm and 12mm FENIX NTM solid sheets?
- Any edge that is available to common compact phenolic sheets may also be used for FENIX solid sheets. For some examples click here.
- Is there a postforming grade in the FENIX NTM collection?
- A postforming grade is not yet available.
- What thicknesses are available?
- There are 4 available thicknesses:
Thin: 0.9mm and 1.2mm
Solid: 10mm and 12mm
- What sheet sizes are available?
- There are two sheet sizes available:
63" x 165"
72" x 169" (only in compact and is considered Special Order)
- What are the maximum spans for 10mm and 12mm self-supporting FENIX NTM?
- From support to support the maximum span is 50cm. From support to edge the maximum span is 30cm.
- How many decors are available?
- The collection is made of 14 decors: 8 plain colors, 3 iridescents, 2 wood grains and 1 stone.
- Are project colors available?
- Project plain colors can be ordered (minimum quantities required) with a price surcharge.
- How does solid self-supporting FENIX NTM perform in wet situations?
- Standard black core FENIX NTM in 10mm and 12mm is suitable for humid and wet areas. White core in 10mm and 12mm is not recommended for humid and wet areas like locker rooms. Kitchen and bath countertops are fine.
- Where can I find technical information on the product?
- Please click here to access the technical data sheets for FENIX NTM.
- Which certifications does FENIX NTM have?
- FENIX NTM is certified according to NSF (suitable for contact with food), GREENGUARD IAQ (FENIX NTM as a product designed for use in indoor spaces – meets strict chemical emissions guidelines) and IMO MED (FENIX NTM 0.9mm is suitable for marine equipment).
- Does FENIX NTM have a warranty?
- Arpa Industriale standard warranty policy is applied.
- Is FENIX NTM® a trademark?
- FENIX NTM® has been a registered trademark by Arpa Industriale since 2013.
- What are the installation indications?
- FENIX NTM is a semi-finished product, so the transformer's indications should be followed according to the diverse applications in different contexts.
- Does FENIX NTM have any directionality?
- The product has a slight directionality which is only visible under certain lighting conditions. On current packaging, product directionality is marked as a precautionary measure.
- Does FENIX NTM come in special packaging?
- Arpa's standard packaging is being used for FENIX NTM: pallets for truck transportation and wooden cases for sea transportation.
- How much does FENIX NTM weigh?
Thickness Size Weight 0.90 mm 63" x 165" 8.540 kg. 1.20 mm 63" x 165" 11.386 kg. 10.00 mm 63" x 165" 94.886 kg. 12.00 mm 63" x 165" 113.864 kg. 10.00 mm 72" x 169" 112.325 kg. 12.00 mm 72" x 169" 134.790 kg.
- What is the average lifespan of FENIX NTM?
- The life expectancy of FENIX NTM is extensive. A piece of furniture made of FENIX NTM is not easily damaged. Of course, the actual lifespan depends on how it is used – especially in regards to the decorative surface. In any case, its durability is another of its considerable qualities and helps to make it especially attractive from an environmental point of view; long life means less waste and a saving of resources.
- How can FENIX NTM be disposed of?
- FENIX NTM is not a dangerous product and requires no special treatment. Thanks to its high cellulose content, the material can be used for energy recovery at the end of its life cycle, in incinerators authorized for municipal waste. For instance: at Arpa Industriale, FENIX NTM waste is used as fuel to generate the energy needed for manufacturing. The residual ash can be treated as solid municipal waste (EAK Code 120105).